Why is it Important to have COVID-19 Travel Insurance?
ICD Insurance is proud to announce that we now offer COVID-19 travel insurance which includes up to $1 million in coverage for medical expenses should you contract COVID-19 while abroad (including the USA). We also offer coverage for trip cancellation and quarantine expenses.
Although we recommend following the Government of Canada’s Level 3 travel advisory to avoid non-essential travel during this time, we also understand that many Canadians must travel outside of the country for business and for family reasons.
Many parts of the world are now experiencing a second wave a COVID-19. This makes it extremely important for travellers to ensure that they have adequate coverage in the event that they get the virus. And although there are many travel insurance options available, many policies are listing COVID-19 as an exception. In other words, under those policies you may be covered if you break your arm – but not if you catch COVID-19. Travellers should review their policies carefully before leaving the country to ensure that they are covered for COVID-19.
Why you need COVID-19 travel insurance during the pandemic:
Currently, the risk of contracting COVID-19 is high. If you must travel, COVID-19 travel insurance will provide you with the following benefits.
- Medical Expenses – although most people who contract COVID-19 do not require hospitalization, for the ones who do, it can be very expensive if they are out of the country. Medical treatment in the US and other countries can be thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars. With up to $1 million in coverage for emergency medical expenses for COVID-19, you won’t have to worry about breaking the bank as a result of the virus.
- Emergency Transportation – COVID-19 travel insurance can cover your costs to get to a Canadian hospital or the nearest appropriate medical facility in the event that you contract the virus.
- Quarantine Expenses – If you are forced to quarantine in a foreign country as a result of testing positive for COVID-19, many COVID-19 travel insurance policies will give you an allowance for quarantine expenses such as hotel and meal costs.
- Cancellation Coverage – should the Government of Canada upgrade its travel advisory to a Level 4 (avoid all travel), your COVID-19 travel insurance policy can cover you for trip cancellation.
- Peace of Mind – even if your trip is completely uneventful, having COVID-19 travel insurance can help make your trip more enjoyable since you won’t have to worry about the financial implications of contracting COVID-19 while travelling.
Travelling during the pandemic?
If you are travelling during the COVID-19 pandemic, we strongly recommend you review all relevant travel advisories prior to your trip and comply with all local and international health guidelines. Taking precautions such as wearing a mask, social distancing, and regular hand washing and sanitizing will help to keep you safe. And purchasing COVID-19 travel insurance will help to protect both your health and your finances in the event that you still catch the virus.
Contact ICD Insurance today
If you have questions about COVID-19 travel insurance, or if you would like to speak to an insurance broker to discuss your options, contact ICD insurance today for a consultation.